Saturday, March 3, 2012

Garden Preserved Steamed Spanish Rice




Garden Preserved Steamed Spanish Rice

This is so simple and so special.  I used some of my homecanned Tomato Sauce which has everything needed to give this dish that "Spanish Rice" flavor:  onions, green peppers, zucchini, carrots, garlic, hot peppers.  (NOTE:  I have only made this with my homecanned sauce so I do not know if it would taste as authentic with store bought sauce - maybe using chunky salsa would work also).

This rice is steamed in the oven - plain oven-steamed rice is just as wonderful!  (oven steamed rice will Not work with brown rice - I don't know why but it doesn't - I've tried).


1 cup Basmatti Rice                                                                   Printable Recipe
1 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce (homecanned)
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon salt

An oven-proof Dish with a lid (I use a white pyrex dish that has a lid)

Heat the Tomato Sauce and then mix with the boiling water.   Pour the Basmatti Rice (or plain white rice - NOT INSTANT RICE) into the oven-proof dish.  Now pour the hot liquid on top of the rice and add the salt.



Cover the dish and bake in a Preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes. 

For plain white steamed rice simply omit the tomato sauce and increase the boiling water to 2 cups - everything else is the same


Serve Immediately.  ENJOY!!





2 comments:

  1. Angie - that recipe is certainly one that I shall try! Never tried to steam rice in the oven before, and having never really succeeded using a steamer, don't usually do rice that way anyway!

    Will definitely have a go - and report back, the next time rice is on the menu. The other half has to "feel like it"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That looks delicious! I'm gonna have to try this one.

    www.AllThingsTangled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments or questions (no question is ever stupid) - They will show up on the blog once I have read through them.
Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...