Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fruit of the Spirit - JOY

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, JOY, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law.  Galatians 5:22 & 23

This is the second of a nine part series I call "Spiritual Fruit of the Month Club".  Have you ever seen or received a gift where you are entered into a club and once a month you are sent a box of fruit - a different kind of fruit each month?  Well, that is what we will be doing here - on the first Sunday of each month for the next nine months I will be sending you a digital box of Spiritual Fruit.  We will study and try to use that fruit in our daily lives for that month.

When we become a Christian we are filled with the Holy Spirit and these "fruits" (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control) are the characteristics that overflow from us.

Today we will concentrate on JOY.  This JOY is a deep happiness that comes from a personal relationship with God - including a sense of us fulfilling His will.

Throughout the Bible Joy is mentioned many times.  In the Old Testament it talks about "songs of joy", "Shouts of joy", "Joy to the Lord", "everlasting joy", "celebrate", "feasting", "rejoice", "delight."  In the New Testament the focus is of course on the joy of Jesus and the joy that comes from the Holy Spirit.

"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious JOY." 
1 Peter 1:8

I love the way Joy is described in the verse above: "inexpressible and glorious".  WOW that is exactly how I feel - I can't describe this Joy but it is totally magnificent!


"Consider it pure JOY, my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."  James 1:2 & 3


"You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the JOY given by the Holy Spirit."  1 Thessalonians 1:6

There is only 1 person in my life that has excelled in this area of being joyful all the time even during hardships.  This person is a dear friend who has gone through many severe tragedies but she has been able to bubble over with joy in Christ even during the darkest hour.  I have to admit that I am more of the northern brooding type and struggle with showing my inner joy.



What will you do with your Spiritual Bushel of - JOY this month?  How will you use this spiritual fruit in your daily lives?


4 comments:

  1. Hi - I wanted to let you know that one of your links from my link party last week is featured on my link party featured this week up on my blog now. www.inspiredbyfelicity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's so cool! I'm going to your blog right now - Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Angie: Told you I'd be back. So glad to meet you. Going to Google Friend you back now. Your blog is very nicely designed, and of course the green is lovely. I am happy to be in the circle of The Versatile Bloggers. I especially like how you share scriptures here. I enjoyed reading your post on joy. What will I do with my spiritual bushel of joy? I will use it to remind myself that no matter how discouraged I may feel, and no matter what it is about, I have the knowledge that I believe, and that NOTHING is too hard for Him. Thank you for reminding me of how much we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandi!
      I love the statement that you used "NOTHING is too hard for Him" - what Joy that knowledge gives me!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments or questions (no question is ever stupid) - They will show up on the blog once I have read through them.
Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...