Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Seven Layer Salad with Peas



Seven Layer Salad with Peas

About 15 years ago I was at a potluck dinner and one of the dishes (brought by somebody else) was "Seven Layer Salad."  It is so simple but yet so special.  Since then I have created new twists on the oldfashioned 7-Layer-Salad:

Mexican Layered Salad


Mediteranian Many Layered Salad


Asian Seven Layer twist

and

Spring Life Layered Salad

I will share these 7-layer-salad versions in posts later on this year.  Today I am sharing the regular 7-layer-salad that I fell in love with so many years ago.


1 cup Bacon (fried, cooled and crumbled or chopped)                Printable Recipe
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 package frozen peas (thawed, rinsed and drained)
3 green onions (washed and chopped)
1 package fresh mushrooms (washed and sliced)
1/2 head romaine lettuce
1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1 container of sour cream (16 oz)
1 package of dry ranch dip seasoning (or dry ranch salad dressing mix)

Prepare the ingredients as listed above.  Mix the sour cream and ranch dip packet together until well blended.  I like to see the beautiful layers of this salad so I use a large glass bowl (However, if you don't own one then any large serving bowl will do - stainless steel, ceramic - whatever).  Begin layering the salad and start with the lettuce first. 

The order doesn't really matter but this is the order in which I build this salad (going from the bottom of the bowl to the top):

1.  Lettuce (both the iceberg and romaine)
2.  Shredded cheese
3.  Ranch sour cream
4.  Green onions
5.  Peas
6.  Mushrooms
7.  Bacon

When you are dishing up this salad - make sure you serve all of the layers and scoop all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. 
ENJOY!! 

4 comments:

  1. Oohh this salad sounds amazing!!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made this in years. It's such a great salad. I think the recipe I have may call for mayo instead of sour cream. Now I'm curious. Thanks for reminding me to make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting thus. It'll be a big hit at my son's grad party!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments or questions (no question is ever stupid) - They will show up on the blog once I have read through them.
Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...