Saturday, July 23, 2011

Freezing Shredded Zucchini


Freezing Shredded Zucchini

Whenever my garden is overflowing with Zucchini (which is most of the summer) - there are always many that get away from me and become too large for sauteing.  I preserve these overgrown zucchinis by shredding and then freezing them.

I use a food processor to shred the zucchini but you may also shred them by hand. 


Shredded zucchini in the food processor

Don't overfill your food processor - as you can see I did in the picture above (oops).

Now fill your baggies - I never put more than 3 cups of shredded zucchini in 1 bag.  I use a vacuum packer but using ziploc baggies is also an option.  If you are using a "food saver" or vacuum packer then you must freeze the zucchini in the bag before actually sealing with the vacuum packer.  As you can see in the picture below - I am temporarily sealing the bag with a chip clip. 




Freeze before vacuum packing! - If you seal before freezing then you will have zucchini juice all over the counter and inside your vacuum packing machine (and the bag will not seal properly).  Place the bag in the freezer for no less than 8 hours.


Sealed after zucchini was frozen.

Label and then it will be ready for winter usage. 

You CANNOT use frozen shredded zucchini to make zucchini bread (trust me I've tried) - the water content is too high and makes the dough gooey and it will never be fully baked in the middle. 

I use my shredded zucchini in soups and chilis - It's wonderful!!




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on the vacuum sealing. Exactly what I was looking for! Just a little tip for you...I use my frozen shredded summer squash and/or zucchini in bread all the time. after thawing, I just let it sit in a strainer for a few minutes to get rid of the excess water and it is is ready to go! The taste is still Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course you can wring the excess water out after thawing!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the tip Amy! - I will try that this winter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ang,
    I have used frozen zucchini in muffins and breads. I just drain it before putting in. Works fine for me.
    Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you. I ended up with a total mess with the first bag I tried. And when I had grated it much finer, I didn't end up with the total mess, but the bags wouldn't seal. Know I know the secret.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments or questions (no question is ever stupid) - They will show up on the blog once I have read through them.
Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...