Saturday, July 2, 2011

Freezing Asparagus

DSCF1246

DSCF1247



5 Easy Steps to Freezing Asparagus

1.  Wash and Cut the Asparagus.  (I have sandy soil and I soak the asparagus in water for about 15 minutes)
2.  Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 4 minutes and then remove or drain immediately (Blanching stops the enzyme process and keeps the produce fresh and crisp)


3.  Cool the Asparagus to room temperature (I cool my blanched vegetables by placing them in a small pyrex dish and then placing that small dish in a larger pyrex dish that has been filled with ice & cold water.  Then I fill a ziploc baggie with ice and place that bag on top of the asparagus.  You can cool the asparagus in water but that can wash some of the flavor away).

4.  Then I vacuum pack the asparagus (If you don't have a vacuum sealer then just use ziploc bags)
5.  Then place in the freezer and in the winter you will have asparagus that tastes almost as good as freshly picked from the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments or questions (no question is ever stupid) - They will show up on the blog once I have read through them.
Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...